Fun Facts About Smiling
You know that you need to take care of your smile. You need to brush twice per day. You need to floss daily. You need to eat healthy foods. You need to visit your dentist regularly for checkups. But let’s learn a few fun facts about smiles and smiling. Maybe they’ll even bring a smile to your face!
- Women smile more than men. Yes, a recent study found that when it comes to facial expressions women smile approximately 26% of the time while men only smile about 19.7% of the time.
- Smiling is contagious. A psychologist at the University of Wisconsin found that there is a part of our brain that causes us to mimic the facial expressions of those around us without even realizing it.
- Babies are born being able to smile. This is true because smiling is the first facial expression a baby will share. While other facial expressions are learned, smiling in innate.
- Smiling can help your mood. When you smile your body releases endorphins, which can improve your mood.
- Smiling makes you more attractive. Studies have shown that people who smile are thought to be more attractive than people who don’t.
- There are 19 different types of smiles. The smile you use to greet someone may be different than the smile you use to show satisfaction.
- A smile may earn you more money. Research has shown that people who smile earn approximately 12% more than people who do not smile.
- Scott Fahlman created the smiley face emoticon. The smiley face emoji is the most often used emoji worldwide.
- Chimpanzees can smile and laugh just like humans. That’s right! Humans aren’t the only ones who can laugh and smile.
- Smiling reduces blood pressure. A simple smile can help reduce your blood pressure because your body releases endorphins when you smile.
- Smiling changes your tone of voice. Yes, even on the phone, a person can “hear” if you are smiling.
- Smiling uses muscles. Okay, it may not be exercise, but when you smile you use approximately 26 muscles.
With all of those fun facts about your smile and smiling it’s no wonder you want to protect it. Share a smile today!