How to Control Plaque
Do you know that fuzzy feeling you get on your teeth often when you need to brush your teeth? That’s plaque. It’s a sticky, colorless film that forms on your teeth and it contains bacteria.
Left untreated, plaque can cause tooth decay and gum disease. So, what can you do about it? Here’s how you can help control plaque:
- Brush Your Teeth. You should brush your teeth twice per day. And, be sure you are brushing your teeth properly.
- Floss Daily. You want to floss your teeth once per day. Flossing gets between the teeth and below the gum line to reach food particles and bacteria that may not be reached with brushing.
- Eat a Healthy Diet. You know that eating a well-balanced diet keeps your body healthy, but it also helps your oral health. A diet full of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and dairy can help neutralize the acids in your mouth.
- Use Products Designed to Fight Gum Disease. Choose a toothpaste and mouthwash that can help prevent gum disease by helping to loosen tartar (which is calcified plaque). Perfect Smile Oral Care products are proven to do just that.
- Have Regular Dental Checkups. When you visit your dentist regularly, he can check your teeth for plaque buildup. Additionally, these regular cleanings will help prevent plaque from becoming tartar, which is much more difficult to remove.
Good habits go a long way to controlling plaque. Practice good habits and good oral health should follow.