Interesting Facts About…Teeth
When it comes to your teeth…what do you really know about them? You use them every day to chew your breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You take care of them by brushing and flossing. But do you know much about…teeth?
Let’s have some fun today and learn some interesting facts about teeth!
Did you know…
- the enamel on your tooth is the hardest part of your body?
- that no two sets of human teeth are alike? Teeth are as unique as fingerprints.
- that you start to form your teeth in the womb? While they don’t become visible until between 6-12 months, they’ve already started developing.
- there is a dental museum? Located at the Temple University School of Dentistry, you can see a wooden bucket full of teeth and much more.
- there are four different kinds of teeth for humans? Humans have incisors, canines, premolars, and molars.
- that 2/3 of your teeth are visible while 1/3 is located below your gums?
- that on average you spend over 1 month of your life brushing your teeth? On average a person spends 38.5 days brushing their teeth during their lifetime.
- that in 1816 a tooth belonging to Sir Isaac Newton sold for $3,633?
- that on average the Tooth Fairy leaves $2 for a tooth?
- that George Washington never had wooden teeth? His teeth were made from gold, hippo tusk, elephant ivory and human teeth.
- that teeth look yellow because your enamel is worn down?
- that China celebrates “Love Your Teeth Day” in September?
- that you have two sets of teeth throughout your life? You have your “baby” teeth and then your adult teeth.
- you have 32 teeth as an adult? You have eight incisors, four canines, eight premolars, and 12 molars.
- you have 20 teeth as a baby?
- that men of the ancient Mayan civilization used to have holes drilled into their teeth? They then had gems inserted to make their smile more beautiful.
- that if you are right-handed you chew on the right side of your mouth more often? And left-handed people more often chew on the left side.
Do you know any interesting facts about teeth? Which of these facts were new to you?